Buying and selling a home has its own thrill, wouldn’t you agree? Now let me tell you how a good real estate agent can help you manage that “thrill” Agents play a big role in the process of buying and/or selling a home and they can make this process either smooth and exciting or long and painful. But the question is, how do you find the best agent real estate for you?
To help you with the selection process, the Trompeter Group has compiled a list of tips that you should consider when choosing your agent.
Where to find Real Estate Agents
- Online searches: Zillow or Realtor.com are the most popular sites to find a property or an agent. You can simply search for agents based on zip codes or by cities. This will pretty much give you an exposure to all agents in the area.
- Open houses: Keep an eye out for open houses in the area you are looking to buy/sell. Make personal connections with the agents at the open house, don’t just take their contact information and leave. Take your time and interact with them to see if you can build that chemistry with the agent. The more that you talk to the agent the more that he or she will be able to understand your needs.
- Drive/walk around neighborhood: Take a walk in the neighborhood you are in or you want to be in and look for any active “For Sale” or “For Rent” signs and call the agents from the board. Even if you’re not interested in that particular property, agents always have other listings that they can show you. This is a great way to find someone who is familiar with the area because you know they work in that particular area.
Compare different agents you have found
- All real estate agents have an online profile either on Zillow or Realtor.com. Reviews are a big part of an agent’s credibility. Do a quick online search and read what other people have to say about that particular agent. Some agents may not have that many reviews but “quality over quantity”. You should also check on how they reply to negative reviews.
- Most realtors these days have an Instagram account and some even have a TikTok as well. If you want to learn more about a real estate agent that you love or you are interested to know then Social Media will give you the right information about their personality and the kind of listings they work with.
- If you know a friend or a family member who recently bought, sold or rented a home through an agent, ask them about their experience. A lot of buyers/sellers find their agent through personal recommendations from friends, family or neighbours.
Talk to at least three agents and ask the right questions
Never settle for the first agent you meet unless you’ve worked with them before. Experts recommend that you should speak to at least 3 different agents in order to be able to compare and contrast. Speaking to 3 agents will give you an idea of different things each agent has to offer and you’ll make an informed decision.
Find an agent that you can trust
Trust is the key. When buying or selling a home, you are entrusting an agent with a big responsibility and if you can’t trust the agent you are working with, the buying or selling process will be extremely stressful. Many real estate agents will have the technology and the resources to advertise properties but a good real estate agent will have a true understanding of how to achieve your personal goals.
Things to look for in a real estate agent
- Good communication
- Good local market understanding
- Awareness of the locality
- Approachable and friendly nature
- A good listener
- Excellent reviews and professionalism
- Creative when it comes to negotiations